Sunday, August 10, 2008

Summer Fun

So, here I am with another long update. We've been having so much fun this summer that I keep getting behind. Now that the summer's almost over, things are starting to calm down again. I truly don't want the summer to end. Besides the things posted below, we've gone swimming with Marta, I went on a great Mother's Night Out, and we've made many trips to the library. Usually we check out around eighteen items each time we go. That is mostly because Hunter is still working on this animal reports and his tenacity is so endearing. It has made it so he's been reading or writing all on his own. He picks an animal, gets all the books at the library he can find on the animal, comes home and tapes together pages to make a notebook, writes a category on each page (diet, environment, etc.), and then reads the books and copies down the "facts" in their respective categories. Then he asks me if he can type his report into the computer and find pictures to go along with it. And, even before he finishes he's already picked out his next animal. The wheels in his head are constantly going and I've got a stack of reports that I will cherish forever.

Devan is turning a corner into a whole new stage. His personality and abilities are constantly growing and before I know it he is going to take off. You can see him watch and imitate Hunter. He's catching on to the way things work and he wants his independence like never before. I have to pick my battles with him sometimes, but he is saying and doing so many fun things every day. I wish I could freeze the moments in time when he grins at me, climbs into my arms, or pulls me by the hand. Add that to times when he says "Hagerger (hamburger)", "Packleochefasaurus" (yes, he did say that), or "Mommy, you take turns...share...be nice".

Aiden is nearing the end of his first year. He's graduated from the army crawl to cruising and climbing. Finding him at the top of the bunk bed ladder the other day was very scary...and educational. We've gone into the next stage of child proofing because of it (bye, bye ladder). He has eight teeth so far and a cute smile to go with them. He still has his very calm and laid back demeanor, except for the recent development of a loud, ear-piercing scream meant to express frustration.

So, if you've made it through this much of a lengthy post, please enjoy the following pics and explanations:

Ward Campout:

We had a great time at the ward camp out. Thanks to Juliet & Marty we were well-equipped. We camped just outside of Rainier, OR. We enjoyed time around the fire, a great breakfast, and some great games. Even the rain during the night didn't phase us.

Painted Turtle Walk & Animal Planet Expo:

I was so excited to find out about a Painted Turtle walk at the Smith & Bybee Wetlands. The boys had a great time looking at turtle shells, but we didn't get to see any turtles in the water.



After the walk, we went to the Animal Planet Expo at a nearby park. The boys loved playing on the inflatable toys.

Library Shows:

I've been taking the boys to the free shows at the library. We've seen a ventroloquist, a magician, and a juggler so far. Not too shabby.

Camp Invention:

Hunter was able to go to a day camp called Camp Invention. It was a perfect fit for him. He got to take apart things and use them to make inventions. He also used recylables to make cities and space modules. He loved every minute of it.

Ashley came to visit:

Hunter's friend Ashley moved away in June and came back for a visit in July. She got to come with us to one of our ward park days. It was great to have them together again.

Swimming in our own backyard:


We decided to spare the lego tub and buy our own wading pool. It's been a great source of entertainment and the boys have been outside a lot more. Aiden has played in it to, but also enjoys hanging out in the shade with me.

Time with dad:

The boys love spending time with their dad and every once in a while they stop wrestling and do something cute like read together.

New Park:


We were so excited for find out that they finally built a good size park not too far from our house. Still not walking distance, but close enough for quick trips. It has a huge playground, a water feature, and a hill perfect for rolling down. However, rolling down it was a bit too much for Matt. He had to lay there for a bit until he wasn't queasy. It's not the first time he's sacrificed his stomach for his sons...and it probably won't be the last.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, you guys are doing it all... You were the first one to mention the rain during the ward campout... I was so bummed we couldn't go but we are going to start buying gear now for next year! Boy, tell Matt your grass sure looks nice! And the pool, has it already killed it? Every time we drive by and I see the pool above the fence (I figure it must be on the play structure drying), I am worried it is going to blow off! I guess I still think like a former Hood River resident since we were use to tying everything down. Hunter is very impressive... I wonder what he will do for a living when he grows up??? Not too many kids want to spend their time researching and writing reports on summer vacation. I guess you didn't have to worry about and sort of "summer slide." He's surely kept his brain stimulated. By the way, where is that "new park"? We are always on the prowl for new fun.

Amy Jane said...

Man, you guys have been having some seriously good times! I love that Hunter is so into his animal reports..how inquisitive of him! And Aiden is getting seriously huge! I can't believe it.

Kari said...

Rachel,

That's so funny about the pool because I keep telling Matt that I think someone's going to take it. You know, because it's such a hot commodity.

It's magnolia park, between Cornell and walker on 192nd. You turn on the new street by Whole Foods. Let us know when you want to go there and we'd love to go with you.