Monday, August 31, 2009

Apple Pie in the Sky Hopes


So I started out this summer with pretty high hopes. I planned on doing something fun with the kids every day. Monday: Library, Tuesday: Park, Wednesday: Free Movie, Thursday: Zoo, Friday: Playdate. I openly acknowledged the fact that it wouldn't last and of course it didn't. However, it still turned out to be one of our busiest and funnest summers yet. All the boys have had a grand time, but especially Hunter.

The first day of school is looming and I am often asked if I'm excited for it. My usual answer has been "no". Then I proceed to go on about how much fun we're having together and how much I'll miss my helpful Hunter. Yesterday, when Hunter was asked if he is excited to go back to school, instead of giving his usual enthusiastic "Yes!", he said he was not excited. Suddenly, I wondered if I've inadvertantly influenced how he feels about returning to school. I wouldn't know what to do with a child who has to be persuaded about the merits of going to school. So when I was asked the question again today by our Pediatrician, I paused for a while and then reluctantly gave the same answer I always do. Oh well, I suppose the damage is already done.

No comments: